Tuesday, November 10, 2009

About Me

About Me:

I'm basically just a work in progress :)

As is my running. I can go from wholeheartedly believing I could run across the country to pathetically limping through a 3 mile run in the same heartbeat.

I never thought I would be a runner, but started running seriously back in early 2009. I thought training for a Half Marathon would be a great way to get out of my quarter-life crisis rut! (you can read more here) The thought of training for such a huge challenge was an enormous adrenaline rush. Could I really do it? Could a non-runner like me actually complete the whole 13.1 miles? It seemed like a monumental task; I mean, heck! That's 13.1 painful effing miles! The first time I ran for a whole hour I damn nearly collapsed, and the first time I ran 8 miles I felt like my legs would fall off.

It hurt like heck sometimes, but I knew I would be even deeper in my rut if I didn't finish! With nothing but dogged determination and just sheer naivete, I ran every last step of the Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon in May. And started this blog.

And boy have I learned a lot since then! Who knew you had to eat while running? I thought the whole purpose of running was so that you can pig out later! And who knew about crotch burns? And compression tights? And electrolytes?

The blogging community has been such an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge. Soon after my first HM, I got inspired to train for my first full marathon.

26.2 miles!!!!!!

aldkfsidofuownsdlfsoidu! 26.2 miles! gaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

It was thrilling and terrifying all at once. 26.2 miles! Who was the genius that thought "hey! why not have a race and put the finish line 26 miles away?"

But once I decide to do things, I have an inability to give it any less than 100%. Training hurt like hell. I got tendinitis and ITB issues. I hated it. I loved it. I laughed. I cried. I screamed. I doubted.

But on December 6, 2009, I ran every darned step of the Santa Barbara International Marathon. (you can read about it here)

Booya! :)

Let me repeat.

Boo-YAH!



But my running journey's not over yet! I know more exciting races and PRs lie ahead. And my goal is to enter the world of triathlons as well. If you want to get me a sick road bike, (or a wetsuit) I always accept donations. :)

So I want to say thank you for stopping by my little blog and reading about my training. It's readers like you who give me the motivation, encouragement, and wise advice I need to keep at this crazy sport of putting one foot in front of the other.

This blog is a work in progress, just like my running and my life. Thank you for sharing it with me :) And if you feel so inclined to leave a comment, it will brighten my day :)



20 Random tidbits about me:

  1. I grew up in Tokyo (read about my Japan chronicles here and here)
  2. I am a proud hapa :)
  3. I have so far run 3 HM, 3 10Ks, one 15K, and one full marathon!
  4. I will freak out if I don't have vaseline. It is the best lip balm ever
  5. You should hide your chocolate from me because I will eat it all!
  6. Hawai'i is my most favorite place in the world and I want to live there NOW!
  7. My brother and I went to the same university
  8. I seriously need a personal shopper as I have a non-existent sense of style. Do running shoes count as fashion? If you want to be my personal shopper, please help me out!
  9. I will not drink milk. I hate it so much I have to eat my cereal dry. But I love yogurt, cheese and ice cream.
  10. I have never met a cheese I don't like
  11. I have never met a chocolate I don't like
  12. I am half Scandinavian
  13. I speak English and Japanese
  14. I absolutely cannot stand to be late! It must be the Tokyo upbringing
  15. On pizzas, I only like the crust
  16. Reggae music soothes my soul
  17. The Today Show if my favorite TV show. If I could work for the Today Show.... well I would probably crap my pants in joy!
  18. I cried watching Harry Potter. Who does that?
  19. Jimmy is my favorite favorite
  20. I am a huge dork but I hope you enjoy my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails