But DANG was it hot out! It was already 5:30 PM, but it was the hottest run I've done all summer season! My face and arms are getting really red/tan, while the rest of my body is still pretty pale. Maybe I should just cut out a huge circle on my Tshirt so my tummy and back can also tan! haha.
yeah, check out my awesome drawing skills!
Sometimes though, when my legs are feeling heavy and it's not the fastest, adrenaline filled run, I have a hard time mentally staying in the run. I have a few mental and physical tricks/games that I play to help me finish the run. Here are some:
- Play "If I Were A Millionaire..." The point is to daydream about what I would do if I were filthy stinking rich. I then discover I am so frugal/stingy, that I don't even know how to dream big, and I fail miserably at this game, but it sure makes the time fly! :) (BTW if I were a millionaire I would pre-pay registration for as many races as possible.... but then I should be daydreaming about flying first class to all sorts of exotic race locations.... but then frugal me can't even fathom that)
- Pretend I am in a music video. I pretend I am sexy chica doing a slow-mo run or something. Or I start singing along. Often times out loud.
- Look at people's mailboxes and repeat their address in my head till I get to the next one. Pretty soon I get so "in the zone" I realize I've gone a whole block!
- Look for Chryslers. I drive one, so I get excited to see one. They aren't all that common. Now I realize this would be a boring game if you drive a Ferrari. You'll never see one. This game will be boring for you. Man, it must suck to have to drive one of those! :)
- Focus on form. I actually have to remind myself to pick up my feet sometimes. But honestly, when the run gets tough, focusing on one technique at a time makes the pain go away.
- Change strides for a while. I'll do 30 steps strong and fast, and 20 slower, and so on.
Oh and I got a super special Bday present from Dad: The Magic Bullet!
It's a super cool blender/food chopper, and I am thoroughly enjoying using it. Yasi, I finally made some Green Monsters! They are surprisingly tasty! I can't wait to experiment with more flavors. Yum Yum
And since I haven't remembered to be grateful for a while, here goes:
1) I am grateful that my iPod hasn't failed on me yet (don't know how I would run without it sometimes)
2) I like to savor lazy afternoons when I get to take a nap
3) I am hopeful that this weekend will be sunny and warm!
Oh and Erica at I run Because I Can... is giving away an awesome gym bag. Check it out!