Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Birthday Run

Glad to report that the run yesterday did not hurt like the painful run last Tuesday. Phew! I will definitely take note NOT to do too intense of a weights sesh the day before a run.

I ran a 5 mile out and back on Cathedral Oaks and the surrounding neighborhoods. All in all it was a great birthday run, though at the end of it, I was spent! Miles 3 & 4 flew by; I was in a really great second wind! I think the trick is to run slower than what feels natural. I usually start racing myself, and I never let myself have "recovery" runs, or "easy" runs. But if I am going to be running 3-4 times a week, I really need to learn how to slow it down. I tried my best to stay within my heart rate zone yesterday, and I think that helped me slow down and take it easy. But I really want to get a Garmin so I can start tracking my pace and distance!

On the above mentioned run, I passed one particular house not once, not twice, not thrice, but FOUR times. (I should have mapped out a better route, haha) There were two guys doing yard work, and by the fourth time I passed by, one of the guys stopped me to tell me "I was going too fast!" haha! He was really interested in my running, and I told him about the Santa Barbara International Marathon in December, how I was training for it, yada yada yada. He was like "I used to go running a lot but...." I told hime it would be GREAT if he picked it up again, and that I'd be running by again soon. I hope he starts running again! But it felt good to be told I was "too fast" on my easy run! :) Ego boost!

One of the things I was thinking about on my run are goals I have for myself for this year. I think I'll share some with you!
  1. Run the SBI Marathon injury free
  2. Run Maui Half Marathon and get a new PR
  3. Run Santa Barbara Half Marathon
  4. Learn to be a baller swimmer
  5. Clean up my eating and eat more veggies / try making Green Monsters
  6. Get STRONG!
  7. Hopefully find a new job (keepin my fingers crossed!!!)
  8. Plot ways to move to Hawaii
  9. Read at least one FICTION book
  10. Travel more within CA
I think that's enough goals for right now.
I wonder what this year will bring! I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.... it's an even # afterall.... 23 just didn't have a happy ring to it.

oh, and Pinch-Punch-First-Day-of-the-Month!

7 comments:

  1. I don't really have that slow it down problem! I like running at a comfortable pace so on my tempo runs I really have to concentrate on speeding up! Good for you on trying to slow it down. It'll help with added miles.

    BTW- I don't run when it's lightning. I barely leave the house! LOL (Fast as lightning was pretty funny!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had a happy birthday run!

    Great list of goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOST Happy birthday to you! Nice run too, your goals looks super... sometime you have to come run Honolulu Marathon with me (December). Maui half, is that in September??? I've always wanted to do that but the date never works. Let's plan a girls run-trip and do that new Kauai half, it looks beautiful!

    Oh, and no, don't run with the camera... after my run I went back and walked it, some of it, I love it down there so much I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when people tell me I run fast! I once got asked if I was a professional runner while I was on the track, I definitely laughed out loud at that one. I love the list. And get on those green monsters! You won't be able to stop eating spinach once you get it in those. If you like garlic too another great way to get some spinach in is to sautee fresh spinach in garlic and EVOO. It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday! :)
    Glad to hear you had a good run! Too funny about the lawn guys... sometimes don't you just do commentary in your head of the looks people give you? "What is that girl DOING running in this heat!?" That kind of thing. ... or maybe that's just me. :)

    Have a fantabulous weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, maybe you should treat yourself to a new Garmin... it really makes a difference in your running- the numbers don't lie! I'm addicted to mine.

    Thanks for the comments on my blog, glad you found it! Your blog is great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ekolu is one of my favorite Hawaiian bands too, in fact I have most of their songs so if you want I can make you a mix! Email me your address if you want the tunes and I can mix it up this weekend.

    Cheers,
    Bree

    breesy4@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails